Thursday 5 February 2009

Rich's first winter lead





Today I went to Glencoe with Tracey and Rich to get him out on the sharp end in winter. We were treated to a perfect sunny day, light winds and the approach to our route was pretty well scoured. We climbed Dorsal Arete along with another team and Alex whom was out for a solo about. There were a couple of teams from Plas y Brenin traversing Stob Coire nan Lochan in the sun. We also saw parties in Boomerang Gully and Twisting Gully (the crux low down was 'interesting' which I interpreted as rocky). SC looked to be powder snow on rock, but I've never seen Dorsal Arete so banked up as today before. In many places you could traverse easily off into Broad Gully. The slopes beneath the crags had some loose snow on a firmer base but we saw little windslab other than on the very crest of Dorsal. Alex also climbed NC which sounded quite well banked out.
I think Tracey found that the weather just about made up for the walkin/out - but only just! Well done to Rich for leading the route.
Guy from The Ice Factor backed off Thomsons Route on Ben Nevis today describing the snow as 'cruddy'.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Al.

Crux on Twisting Gully was not too rocky, just Brian and I were a bit rusty! Plenty of material on the route with bomber neve on the approach to the finish.

Kind regards, Craig

Alan said...

Cheers Craig, good to know- Al

Anonymous said...

Hi Alan, hop all is well over in the East - it looks bloody cold from the weather report.

My knee was OK after a days rest but not so my thighs....blimey, they still hurt. I took Tracey and Jane to the Glencoe Ski Resort and showed Jane how to self arrest and no, it didn't involve my handcuffs. While they carried on I popped to the summit and was rewarded with stunning views.

I dragged them both up Buachaille Etive Beag yesterday and had more stunning weather. Had to leave today, which was gutting as the weather looked even better.

Could you mail me all the photos you took please?

Take care out in the hills.

Rich